Friday, June 22, 2012

Time Lapse

So first of all I decided that I need to learn how to do time lapse photography. The concept is quite simpe - take a series of photos and then string them together to make a film. Well there is a lot involved as usual and I was quickly coming to the conclusion that I would need extra devices to control the camera.

I don't know if you've ever thought about this before, but when you're on top of a remote mountain there isn't many power outlets for camera's and computers and phones etc. I was thinking I would have to lug a generator up the mountain or buy a huge amount of batteries for phones and camera's and a laptop. I was thinking that I could control the camera with my smart phone using some sort of DSLR remote controller that would give me time lapse functionality - an intervalometer (interval-o-meter).

After doing some research I discovered that there are people out there that are as disappointed in canons DSLR software as much as I am. But they actually did something about it. It's called MAGIC LANTERN, and it's a life saver. It has built in intervalometer and HDR, and you can ever combine the 2 at once and have a HDR time lapse. But I'll get into HDR in another post.

I recommend it for all canon uses to have. It will open a whole new world of opportunity for canon DSLR photographers.

Favorite shot of the day.


So here is what magic lantern allowed me to do.....


A morning time lapse test run for a Uni project I'm working on. I plan to hike up a mountain and shoot the entire day in one go. I'm testing the settings on this shoot.
Filmed in Brisbane, Rochedale South on Baroona street, 22 June 2012.
Equipment - Canon 550D, EF-S 18-55mm, 1/200, f-4.5, ISO 100, Circular Polarizing lens, x-rite color checker.
Canon firmware enhanced with Magic Lantern.

Music: Window #3 by Two Bicycles (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Two_Bicycles/Beko_Crash_Symbols_1/07_Window_3)

No comments:

Post a Comment